Shrimp Fra Diavolo
- prep time15 min
- total time 33 min
- serves 4
An Italian dish of sautéed shrimp and onions served in a thick tomato and herb sauce.
1 lb(s) shrimp, peeled, deveined
1 tsp salt, plus additional as needed
1 tsp dried crushed red pepper flakes
3 Tbsp olive oil, plus 1-2 Tbsp
1 medium onion, sliced
1 (14 1/2 oz) can diced tomatoes
1 cup dry white wine
3 cloves garlic, chopped
¼ tsp dried oregano leaves
3 Tbsp Italian parsley leaves, chopped
3 Tbsp fresh basil leaves, chopped
1. Toss the shrimp in a medium bowl with 1 teaspoon of salt and red pepper flakes.
2. Heat the 3 tablespoons oil in a heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the shrimp and sauté for about a minute, toss, and continue cooking until just cooked through, about 1 to 2 minutes. Transfer the shrimp to a large plate; set aside.
3. Add the onion to the same skillet, adding 1 to 2 teaspoons of olive oil to the pan, if necessary, and sauté until translucent, about 5 minutes.
4. Add the tomatoes with their juices, wine, garlic, and oregano. Simmer until the sauce thickens slightly, about 10 minutes.
5. Return the shrimp and any accumulated juices to the tomato mixture; toss to coat, and cook for about a minute so the flavors meld together. Stir in the parsley and basil. Season with more salt, to taste, and serve.