Simple Oven-Baked Stuffing
- prep time20 min
- total time 60 min
- serves 8 - 10
Make this stuffing the day before Thanksgiving to save yourself some precious time – and sanity!
Courtesy of Amy Bronee, familyfeedbag.com, Victoria
½ cup (125 mL) butter
2 cups (500 mL) diced yellow onions
1 ½ cups (375 mL) diced carrots
1 ½ cups (375 mL) diced celery
2 Tbsp (30 mL) poultry seasoning
2 tsp (10 mL) dried rosemary (or 2 tbsp/30 mL chopped fresh rosemary)
1 tsp (5 mL) salt
¼ tsp (1 mL) black pepper
18 cups (4.5 L) white or brown sandwich bread, cubed (no need to dry it out first)
1 ½ cups (375 mL) chicken or turkey stock
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F (180° C).
2. Melt butter in large soup pot or stock pot over medium-high heat. Add onions, carrots and celery and cook for 8 to 10 minutes, or until beginning to soften.
3. Stir in poultry seasoning, rosemary, salt and pepper. Continue cooking 2 minutes more. Remove from heat.
4. In two batches, add bread cubes to pot, stirring to evenly distribute seasonings and veggies. Pour in stock and stir. Transfer to large baking dish, such as lasagna pan. Cover with foil.
5. Bake for 30 minutes. Remove foil and bake another 10 minutes. Serve immediately or, if making ahead, cool, cover and refrigerate. Reheat before serving.