2 lb(s) (1 kg) assorted tomatoes
4 clove garlic, sliced in half horizontally
1 tsp (5 mL) kosher salt
freshly ground pepper
½ tsp (2 mL) dried chili flakes
1 cup (250 mL) olive oil
1 cup (250 mL) basil leaves, torn
500 g fettuccine
½ cup (125 mL) Parmigiano-Reggiano, grated (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 275ºF.
2. Rinse tomatoes and pat dry. Leave cherry tomatoes whole and chop larger tomatoes into 1 to 1 ½-inch chunks. Place tomatoes and garlic in a 9 x 9-inch baking dish and sprinkle with salt, pepper and chili flakes. Toss to coat. Pour in enough oil to reach halfway up the tomatoes, about 1 cup. Stir to ensure all the tomatoes are coated.
3. Bake for 1 hour, stirring halfway through, or until tomatoes are very tender. Remove from oven. Stir in ½ cup torn basil leaves and let rest for 20 minutes.
4. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook fettuccine according to package directions, about 8 minutes. Drain and return to pasta pot.
5. Lift tomatoes from oil using a slotted spoon and add to pasta. Toss the pasta, adding tomato oil by the tablespoon until the pasta is coated and flavourful, up to 1/3 cup. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
6. Spoon into pasta bowls. Sprinkle with Parmigiano-Regianno if desired. Garnish with remaining basil.