Smoked Chicken and Wedge Salad
- serves 2-4
A fresh dish combining the best of cmoked chicken and veggies, including radishes, iceberg lettuce, tomatoes, avocado and sunflower seeds. Served with a smoked tomato aioli.
1 small free-range chicken, spatchcocked (your butcher can do this for you)
1 cup cream sherry
1 cup hoisin sauce
3 clove garlic, crushed
Wedge SaladWedge Salad
2 radishes, shaved
1 heads iceberg lettuce, cut into wedges
8 cherry tomatoes, halved
1 avocado, halved and sliced
¼ cup sunflower seeds, toasted
½ bunch cilantro, picked and washed
Smoked Tomato AioliSmoked Tomato Aioli
6 tomatoes, halved
4 clove garlic, peeled
8 whole habanero peppers
8 shallots, peeled
1 cup Worcestershire sauce
3-4 cups good quality mayonnaise
1. Combine sherry, hoisin, and garlic in a non-reactive dish. Add chicken and leave overnight in refrigerator to marinate.
2. Heat smoker to 200ºF and add soaked hickory chips to smoker hot box.
3. Remove chicken from marinade, pat dry with paper towel, and place in smoker for one hour or until cooked through.Wedge Salad
1. Strategically place lettuce wedges, avocado, radish, and tomato on a large platter.
2. Spoon aioli on the salad and around the plate.
3. Garnish with sunflower seeds over the top.
4. Break the smoked chicken into manageable pieces and arrange around the salad.
5. Garnish with cilantro and serve immediately.Smoked Tomato Aioli
1. Smoke tomatoes, garlic, habanero peppers, and shallots for 2 to 3 hours in a hot smoker heated to 275 Farenheit.
2. Remove from smoker and simmer over stove top heat until very little liquid remains and mixture is a jam consistency.
3. Remove mixture from heat and cool to room temperature.
4. Add mixture to blender with Worchestershire sauce and puree until smooth.
5. Pass mixture through fine sieve into a stainless steel bowl.
6. Add mayonnaise as needed until sauce is desired consistency.