Smoked Chocolate & Candied Bacon Crepe
Recipe courtesy of Crisp Creperie.
1 ¼ cups flour
½ tsp salt
½ tsp sugar
¾ Tbsp oil
2 cups milk, warm
¼ cup butter
½ cup beer (any light lager)
1 Tbsp butter, for fryingCandied Bacon
12 slices thick-cut peppered bacon
⅓ cup light brown sugarSmoked Chocolate Mousse
5 ¼ oz smoked chocolate chips*
14 oz heavy cream, cold
3 egg whites
1 oz sugarSmoked Chocolate & Candied Bacon Crepe
4 - 6 Sweet Crepes (above)
1 dollop peanut butter
4 bananas, sliced
2 cups Smoked Chocolate Mousse (above)
12 pieces Candied Bacon, chopped (above)
12 cup nuts, toasted
dusting of powdered sugar
1. Mix dry ingredients together. Create a well and add the eggs, oil, milk and butter. Mix vigorously by hand or in a mixer until it’s smooth.
2. Pour the batter through a fine meshed sieve into a bowl. Slowly mix in the ½ cup of beer until evenly incorporated (don’t over mix).
3. Cover the batter and refrigerate overnight.
4. To cook, melt the butter in a smoking hot pan, ensuring even coverage (use a paper towel if necessary).
5. Pour ¼ cup of the batter into the pan and immediately swirl it around to evenly coat the pan (you’re guaranteed to mess up your first one so don’t fret). Let it sit for 2 minutes then flip it for another 30 seconds or so until you get that golden brown colour.
6. If you will not be using immediately, cool at room temperature with a damp towel on top before refrigerating.Candied Bacon
1. Preheat the oven to 325ºF.
2. Generously rub both sides of the bacon with the brown sugar.
3. Cover a baking sheet with foil or parchment paper and arrange the bacon in a single layer. Throw another piece of parchment or foil on top and sandwich with another baking sheet the same size. This will keep the bacon nice and flat as it cooks.
4. Cook for about 20 minutes until it’s a nice brick-red colour and fairly crispy.Smoked Chocolate Mousse
1. *You can use unsmoked dark chocolate chips, or smoke your own in a smoker with a handful of mesquite wood chips.
2. Melt the chocolate in a double boiler or a large bowl set over a bain marie (or the microwave!). With a mixer and whisk attachment, beat the cream in an ice-cold bowl until soft peaks form. Set aside.
3. Using the mixer again, beat the egg whites to soft peaks. Gradually add the sugar and beat some more until firm.
4. Gently fold the melted chocolate into the egg whites. When the whites are almost completely incorporated, fold in the whipping cream. Cover the bowl and refrigerate for at least an hour.Smoked Chocolate & Candied Bacon Crepe
1. Smear a spoonful of peanut butter on a freshly made crepe. Add sliced bananas, a spoonful of mousse and a generous handful of chopped, candied bacon. Fold it in half and top with some toasted nuts and powdered sugar.