Smoked Garlic Sausages, Caraway Pickled Fennel, Kasha and Flax Lavash with House-Made Mustard
- prep time1 min
- total time 142 min
- serves 6
Recipe by Connie DeSousa from Top Chef Canada Episode 3.
3 cup white wine vinegar
4 Tbsp salt
1 ½ cup sugar
3 cup waterPickled Fennel
1 large fennel bulb, shaved using a mandolin
2 Tbsp caraway seeds, toasted
4 cup Pickling Liquid, boiled
fennel fronds from 1 fennel, picked for garnishHouse-Made Mustard
1 cup mustard seeds (mixture of yellow and black)
2 cup Pickling LiquidSmoked Garlic Sausages
2 cup wood chips
1 2 ½ lb(s) pork shoulder, ground
¼ lb(s) pork belly, ground
1 Tbsp House-Made Mustard
2 Tbsp salt
1 Tbsp garlic powder
1 Tbsp onion powder
1 tsp black pepper
1 Tbsp dried oregano, ground
½ Tbsp dried thyme, ground
1 Tbsp sugar
sheep's casing, soaked and rinsed thoroughly in cold water
butcher’s stringKasha and Flax Lavash
½ cup kasha, ground
1 cup barley flour
¼ cup all purpose flour, plus more for dusting
¼ cup flax seeds
1 tsp salt
¼ cup olive oil
½ cup warm water, plus additional if needed
2 eggs, room temperature
2 tsp Maldon saltAssembly
2 Tbsp fennel fronds for garnish
Smoked Garlic Sausages, some sliced ¼ inch thick and some left whole
Kasha and Flax Lavash, broken into pieces
1. Place pickling ingredients in a pot, bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer until sugar dissolves. Remove from heat.
2. Set aside 2 cups of Pickling Liquid for House-Made Mustard recipe. Reserve the remainder for Pickled Fennel recipe.Pickled Fennel
1. Place shaved fennel and toasted caraway seeds in a bowl. Pour hot Pickling Liquid over fennel, place in fridge and chill until cool approximately, 30 minutes.
2. Before assembly, strain fennel from Pickling Liquid.House-Made Mustard
1. Place mustard seeds and Pickling Liquid in a small pot, bring to a boil, Remove from heat once softened, approximately 1-2 minutes. Place in fridge to cool until serving.Smoked Garlic Sausages
1. Soak 1 cup of wood chips in water for 10 minutes and prepare an ice bath.
2. Place ground meats in a bowl over ice bath.
3. Add House-Made Mustard, dried herbs and spices to meat mixture, mix well to incorporate.
4. Using a pastry bag or a sausage maker, stuff sausage mixture into casings. Using a skewer, poke any air bubbles, tie sausages to desired lengths and place on a cooling rack.
5. Preheat oven to 200F.
6. Place another cup of dry wood chips in a foil packet. Place directly over the flame of a stove (or over the hot coals of a barbeque).
7. Once wood chips begin to smoke, poke holes in packet, add soaked wood chips, place in a roasting pan and immediately place in oven to retain smoke.
8. Place cooling rack with sausages over roasting pan in oven. Smoke in oven until sausages are tender and reach an internal temperature of 145F, approximately 1 – 1 ½ hours.Kasha and Flax Lavash
1. Preheat oven to 400F.
2. Prepare a baking tray lined with parchment paper and dust with flour. Place flours, flax seed and salt in a stand mixer with a dough hook.
3. Add olive oil and warm water slowly, mixing until dough is formed. Add more warm water, 1 tablespoon at a time, if dough feels too dry, or more all purpose flour, 1 tablespoon at a time, if dough is too wet.
4. Remove dough from stand mixer, divide into 4 even pieces and dust with flour.
5. Using a pasta machine at the widest setting, flour 1 piece of dough and begin to roll. Continue to dust and roll, moving the settings down each time until dough is thin, approximately 1/16th of an inch.
6. Place on flour dusted baking tray. Repeat rolling process with remaining 3 pieces of dough.
7. Brush sheets of dough with egg white and sprinkle with Maldon salt. Bake until edges are golden and Lavash is crisp, approximately 15-20 minutes.Assembly
1. Place Pickled Fennel on a plate, garnish with fennel fronds.
2. Place Smoked Garlic Sausages against Pickled Fennel.
3. Spoon 1 tablespoon of House-Made Mustard beside Smoked Garlic Sausages.
4. Place pieces of Kasha and Flax Lavash beside Garlic Sausages and serve.