1 ½ cup all purpose flour (375ml)
1 Tbsp granulated white sugar (15ml)
tsp baking powder (10ml)
½ tsp salt (2.5ml)
1 whole egg
2 Tbsp vegetable oil (30ml) + 2 tablespoons vegetable oil (30ml)
1 cup milk (250ml)
½ cup corn kernels, fresh or canned, drained (125ml)
1 Tbsp chives, finely chopped (15ml)
½ cup sour cream (125ml)
1 tsp wasabi powder (5-10ml)
Juice of ½ a lemon
salt to taste
20 pieces of prepared smoked salmon, thinly sliced (approx. 350 grams)
1 bunch fresh cut chives (optional garnish)
1. Preheat oven to 250 degrees F (120 degrees C) (optional) to keep prepared blinis warm.
2. In a large mixing bowl add the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Sift all ingredients until evenly combined.
3. In a separate bowl whisk together the egg, oil, milk, corn and finely chopped chives until evenly combined.
4. Add the wet mixture into to the dry mixture and whisk until evenly combined. Do not over mix the batter - some lumps are fine.
5. Preheat a large non-stick skillet over medium low heat. Add 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil to the pan and allow to heat for 30 seconds. Using a soup spoon measure 1 tablespoon of the batter and place in the pan, creating little round pancakes. Repeat until the pan is full but not overcrowded. Flip the pancakes when small bubbles appear on the top and the side of the cakes have lost their gloss. Flip and continue to cook the other side until they are golden brown. Remove from pan. Repeat until all batter is used. (If desired place on a tray and keep warm in a 250F oven)
6. To make wasabi cream mix sour cream, lemon juice and wasabi powder in a small bowl until well combined. Taste for desired heat, add additional wasabi powder if preferred.
7. Remove warm blinis from oven and place on a serving platter. Top each blini with a piece of smoked salmon and a small dollop of wasabi cream. Garnish with fresh cut chives if desired. Serve immediately.