Smoked Tomato Soup with Miso Creme Fraiche
- prep time10 min
- total time 45 min
- serves 6
5 kg ripe beefsteak tomatoes
1 bulb fennel, thinly sliced
2 cups shallots, thinly sliced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 stalk celery, sliced
1 tsp smoked paprika
4 Tbsp sherry vinegar
⅓ cup Nobilo Regional Collection Sauvignon Blanc
2 sprigs tarragon
1 sprig thyme
¼ cup good-quality olive oilMiso Creme Fraiche
½ cup creme fraiche
2 tsp white miso
⅛ cup chives
1. Get your smoker going to 160⁰F/70⁰C.
2. Remove core and cut tomato into quarters; season with salt, pepper and olive oil. Place in smoker and smoke for 10 minutes.
3. Sweat shallots, fennel, garlic and celery until soft. Add paprika and cook for another minute.
4. Deglaze with vinegar and reduce.
5. Add wine and reduce.
6. Add tomatoes and all their juice. Break up tomatoes with a wooden spoon. Simmer until all cooked, about 20 minutes.
7. Remove tarragon and thyme. Season with salt and blend in bar blender, pass through a fine sieve, and adjust seasoning.Miso Creme Fraiche
1. Combine crème fraîche with white miso and chives.
2. Mix together and refrigerate for at least two hours.
3. Garnish soup with olive oil, fresh basil and miso crème fraîche.