1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 onion, coarsely chopped
3 cloves garlic, crushed
1 ½ tsp tomato paste
¼ tsp cayenne pepper
¼ tsp smoked paprika
2 red bell peppers, cut into 1/4-inch dice
1 large tomato, peeled and coarsely chopped
½ tsp sugar
½ Tbsp olive oil
4 Tbsp labneh (Lebanese cream cheese)
2 cups Stewed Chickpeas
1. In a large saucepan, heat oil, and add onion and red peppers and cook until soft, about 8 minutes. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add tomato paste, cayenne, paprika, salt and black pepper to taste and stir to combine. Add mixture to a food processor and mix to make a paste.
2. Over medium heat, return paste to the saucepan and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, before adding the tomato, sugar, chickpeas and (a scant) 1 cup water.
3. Bring to a low simmer, cover the pan and cook over low heat for 20-25 minutes, stirring occasionally and adding more water when needed to maintain a sauce-like consistency. Remove the lid and cook for 15 more minutes.
1. Preheat the oven to 425°F (220ºC). Brush pitas with olive oil, spread a thin layer of chickpea mixture over and make a small well in the centre.
2. Crack an egg in the middle of each pita and bake for 8-12 minutes until it’s cooked to desired doneness.
3. Finish with fresh parsley and a few scoops of labneh. Serve immediately.