Som Dtam Green Papaya Salad (from Longtail Kitchen)
- prep time15 min
- total time 15 min
- serves 4 - 6
Courtesy of Angus An of Longtail Kitchen.
12 Thai bird's eye chili peppers
7 cloves garlic
1 cup palm sugar, crushed (available at most South Asian grocery stores)
juice of 12 limes (1 1/2 cups)
1 cup fish sauce
1 ½ cups cherry tomatoesAssembly
¼ cup shelled peanuts
½ cup long beans
24 - 30 cherry tomatoes, halved or quartered
5 cups shredded green papaya
½ cup shredded carrot
dried shrimp (optional)
1. In the bowl of a food processor, combine chili peppers, garlic, palm sugar, lime juice, and fish sauce; process until smooth.
2. Add tomatoes and process for 2 seconds, until tomatoes are roughly chopped; set dressing aside until assembly.Assembly
1. In a clay mortar, pound peanuts, long beans, and tomatoes until chunky and combined; add papaya, carrots, and 1 cup of the papaya dressing.
2. Continue pounding for another 10 to 15 seconds, until dressing is absorbed into the papaya.
3. In the bowl of a food processor, process enough dried shrimp to get 1 tablespoon of powder. Garnish papaya salad with the shrimp powder.
4. Note: Extra papaya dressing will keep in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.