Sopa Paraguaya: Cheese and Onion Cornbread
- prep time10 min
- total time 55 min
- serves 16
This zesty and satisfying bread from Paraguay makes a great side dish, snack or on-the-go breakfast.
Courtesy of Regina Braun, leelalicious.com, Calgary
¼ cup (50 mL) butter
1 large onion, sliced
3 ½ oz (100 g) mild cheese, shredded
1 cup (250 mL) cottage cheese
1 cup (250 mL) milk
5 eggs, beaten
2 cups (500 mL) cornmeal
1 tsp (5 mL) salt
1 tsp (5 mL) baking powder
1. Preheat oven to 350˚F (180ºC). Line 8-inch (2 L) square baking dish with parchment paper.
2. In large frying pan, melt butter over medium heat. Add onion; sauté for 3 to 5 minutes.
3. Remove from heat and stir in shredded cheese (it will melt), cottage cheese, milk and eggs.
4. Sprinkle cornmeal, salt and baking powder over cheese mixture; stir to combine.
5. Scrape batter into baking dish. Bake for 45 to 60 minutes, or until top is golden brown.