4 chicken breasts, boneless and skinless
¾ tsp (4 mL) salt
¼ tsp (1 mL) black pepper
1 Tbsp (15 mL) garlic powder
⅓ cup (75 mL) lime juice; reserve 2 tablespoons (30 mL) for dressing
2 Tbsp (30 mL) olive oil; reserve 1 tablespoon (15 mL) for dressing
1 cup (250 mL) quinoa
½ cup (125 mL) Monterey Jack cheese, grated
4 green onion, chopped
¾ cup corn, canned and drained
¾ cup black beans, canned and drained
2 plum tomatoes, seeded, 1/2-inch diced
1. Preheat oven to 350ºF (180°C).
2. Season chicken breast with salt, black pepper, paprika, garlic powder, 3 tablespoons (45 mL) lime juice and 1 tablespoons (15 mL) olive oil. Transfer to baking dish and place in preheated oven.
3. Rinse quinoa under running water for 3 minutes using a fine mesh sieve. Cook quinoa according to package instructions. Once quinoa is cooked let rest, uncovered.
4. After 15 minutes of cooking, turn over chicken and continue to cook for an additional 10 minutes.
5. After 10 minutes, sprinkle chicken breasts with grated cheese and return to oven for an additional 3 minutes, or until cheese is melted. Remove from oven and cut into ½ in. slices.
6. Add ½ cup (125 mL) green onions, corn, black beans, and tomatoes to cooked quinoa.
7. Drizzle remaining 2 tablespoons (30 mL) lime juice and 1 tablespoon (15 mL) olive oil over quinoa. Season to taste with salt and toss to coat. Use remaining green onions as a garnish.