Spaghetti & Meatballs and Olive Oil Ice Cream
- serves 2
Make an authentic Italian meal with ground beef, veal and pork meatballs, a rich tomato sauce topped with two kinds of cheese and paired with a homemade olive oil ice cream for dessert.
1 lb(s) (454g) ground beef
1 lb(s) (454g) ground veal
1 lb(s) (454g) ground pork
2 cups (50 mL) bread cut into cubes (no crust)
1 cup (250 mL) milk
1 Tbsp (15 mL) kosher salt
1 Tbsp (15 mL) black pepper
½ bunch parsley, choppedTomato Sauce
½ cup (125 mL) olive oil
6 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
1 bunch basil, leaves only
1 can Italian whole tomatoes, crushed by hand or food mill
Salt and pepper, to tasteSpaghetti
½ lb(s) (230g) spaghetti
1 cup (250 mL) smoked Scamorza cheese, grated
¼ cup (60 mL) Grana Padano cheese, gratedOlive Oil Ice Cream
1 ⅓ cups (330 mL) whole milk
½ cup (125 mL) sugar
1 pinch salt
1 cup (250 mL) heavy cream
6 large egg yolks
½ cup (125 mL) olive oil
1. Preheat oven to 350ºF (190ºC).
2. In a bowl, add milk to the bread. Let this soak until it becomes a paste, about 8-10 minutes.
3. Combine rest of the ingredients into a separate large bowl and mix by hand.
4. Form meatballs to desired shape and size. Place onto oiled sheet tray and bake for 15-20 minutes or until firm.
5. Once meatballs have firmed up they can be placed in the Tomato Sauce to finish cooking for additional 10-15 minutes.Tomato Sauce
1. Heat olive oil in a large pot. Cook the garlic until light golden brown, about 1-2 minutes.
2. Add all the basil leaves to the hot oil. Cook basil for 30 seconds.
3. Place the tomatoes in the pot and turn heat to medium high setting. Season with salt and pepper. Cook sauce for 20-30 minutes.
4. Add meatballs to the sauce, cook for 10-15 minutes. Remove meatballs.Spaghetti
1. Cook spaghetti according to package directions.
2. Drain and toss with all except ¼ cup (60 mL) of tomato sauce.
3. Place spaghetti, meatballs and remaining sauce into an oven safe vessel.
4. Sprinkle with smoked Scamorza cheese. Bake at 350ºF (190ºC) until melted and bubbly, about 8–10 minutes.
5. Add Grana Padano cheese for added flavour.Olive Oil Ice Cream
1. Warm the milk, sugar, and salt in a medium saucepan. Pour the cream into a large bowl and set a mesh strainer on top.
2. In a separate medium bowl, whisk together the egg yolks. Slowly pour the warm mixture into the egg yolks, whisking constantly, then scrape the warmed egg yolks back into the saucepan.
3. Stir the mixture constantly over medium heat with a heatproof spatula, scraping the bottom as you stir, until the mixture thickens and coats the spatula.
4. Pour the custard through the strainer and stir it into the cream
5. Whisk the olive oil into the custard vigorously until it's well blended, then stir until cool over an ice bath.
6. Chill the mixture thoroughly in the refrigerator, then freeze it in an ice cream maker until done.