Spinach Phyllo Bundles
- serves 4
3 large shallots, finely chopped
1 Tbsp butter (15ml)
2 10 oz packages frozen, chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry (300g/pkg)
1 cup ricotta cheese (250ml)
10 oz feta cheese, crumbled (300g)
2 large eggs
pinch ground nutmeg
¼ cup tomato, diced (65ml)
¼ tsp salt (1ml)
¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper (1ml)
4 - 6 tbsp olive oil, for brushing pastry (60-90ml)
1 tsp olive oil (5ML)Adults:
¼ cup goat cheese (65ml)
4 oz cooked lamb (125g)
2 tsp fresh dill, choppedChildren:
2 Tbsp shredded mozzarella (30ml)
2 Tbsp tomatoes, chopped (30ml)
1. Preheat oven to 350F.
2. In a nonstick skillet, over medium heat, cook shallots, until tender and translucent. Heat 1 tsp olive oil in a nonstick skillet and cook lamb until no longer pink, about 5 minutes. Cool and reserve.
3. In a large bowl, add shallots, spinach, ricotta, feta, eggs, nutmeg, salt and pepper. Stir to combine.
4. Working with one sheet of phyllo at a time, brush with oil; fold in half and brush with oil. Repeat 2 times for a total of 3 completed pastry sheets.
Pastry tops: using 1 completed pastry sheet cut 8 lengths, about 1 inch wide. Cut 4 in half horizontally. Reserve.
5. Assemble phyllo bundles.
6. Bake for 20 - 25 minutes until golden brown and heated through.
Tip: If they brown too quickly, top with foil and continue to bake for remaining time. Keep unused phyllo pastry under a damp tea towel to prevent it from drying out.Adults:
1. Cut one sheet of brushed pastry into 12 – 3 X 3 inch squares for regular muffin pan. Spray muffin cups with cooking spray. Place 3 squares in 4 muffin cups.
2. Fill muffin cups halfway with spinach mixture.
3. Top with cooked lamb and top with spinach mixture, goat cheese and dill. Top with phyllo strips; drape strips around the topping to create a rose shaped ruffle and brush with oil.Children:
1. Cut one sheet of brushed pastry into 16 – 1 ½ X 2 inch squares for mini muffin pans. Discard extra squares. Spray muffin pan with cooking spray. Place 2 squares in 8 muffin cups.
2. Fill pastry lined muffin cups with spinach mixture.
3. Top with mozzarella and tomatoes. Top with phyllo strips; drape strips around the topping to create a rose shaped ruffle and brush with oil.