Steak and Shrimp Taco Bar
- prep time20 min
- total time 95 min
- serves 100
If you need a fun meal for a lot of people, Ree's recipe for a big taco bar is your one-stop-shop for the task.
1 cup kosher salt
1 cup ground oregano
1 cup chili powder
½ cup ground black pepper
½ cup cumin
¼ cup garlic powder
¼ cup cayenne pepper
37 ½ lb(s) sirloin steak, cut into 1-inch cubes
18 ¾ lb(s) shrimp, peeled cleaned (16/20 count)
Oil, for grilling
Taco bar fixings of your choice, for serving
1. Heat 2 very large grill pans or griddles to high heat.
2. Mix together the salt, oregano, chili powder, black pepper, cumin, garlic powder and cayenne pepper in a bowl.
3. Put the steak cubes and shrimp in separate large bowls. Sprinkle the spice mixture evenly over both and toss to ensure the steak and shrimp are well coated.
4. Add some oil to the grill pans and, working in batches, grill the shrimp on one grill pan until they turn from translucent to opaque, and the steak on the other grill pan to medium rare, 3 to 5 minutes per batch. Clean and re-oil the grill pans between batches.
5. Serve with the taco bar fixings of your choice.
Cook's Note: This is a large-quantity recipe for feeding a crowd, but it can be scaled down quite easily.