Steak and Stout Pie (from The Churchill Arms)
- serves 4
A British favourite! A hearty beef and vegetable stew served with a side of pottao bread.
Courtesy of France Thorpe of The Churchill Arms
2 Tbsp oil
2 lb(s) stewing beef
3 Tbsp flour
1 cup carrots, chopped
1 cup mushrooms, chopped
1 onion, finely chopped
2 cup beef stock
2 cup stout
3 bay leaves
2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 Tbsp basil
cornstarch to thickenPotato Bread
4 cup mashed potatoes
1 cup flour
2 Tbsp butter (for frying)
1. Heat the oil in a pot on medium heat.
2. Toss stewing beef in flour.
3. Add beef to oil in pot, brown for approximately 2 minutes.
4. Add carrots, mushrooms, onions and mix.
5. Add beef stock, stout and mix.
6. Add bay leaves, Worcestershire sauce, basil and mix.
7. Simmer for approximately 2-3 hours until beef is tender.
8. Thicken stew as required with corn starch.Potato Bread
1. Mix potatoes and flour together, form into a ball.
2. Melt butter in a pan over medium heat.
3. Divide potato and flour mixture into 4 balls.
4. Flatten and fry each ball until golden brown, turning once.
5. Assembly: Pour the steak and stout filling into four separate bowls and place the hot potato bread over each one.