2 lb(s) (908 g) stewing beef (cut into 1 to 1½ inch cubes)
½ tsp seasoned salt
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 ½ cup coarsely chopped yellow onions
1 cup chopped celery
2 tsp minced garlic
2 tsp herbs de Provence
2 ½ cup (0.60 L) reduced-sodium beef broth
2 Tbsp tomato paste
2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
2 bay leaves
1 tsp sugar
½ tsp each salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 large thin-skinned potato (such as Yukon Gold), unpeeled, cut into ¾-inch pieces
1 large carrot, chopped
1 small sweet potato, peeled, cut into ¾-inch pieces
2 Tbsp cornstarch
¾ cup frozen green peas
2 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
Whole Wheat and Cheddar Biscui
1 ½ cup all-purpose flour
½ cup whole wheat flour
1 ½ tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
½ tsp baking soda
⅛ tsp cayenne pepper
¼ cup butter, frozen
¾ cup packed shredded light sharp (old) cheddar cheese (3 oz/85 g)
¾ cup buttermilk
1 Tbsp honey
2 Tbsp butter, melted, for after baking (optional)
⅛ tsp garlic powder, for after baking (optional)
1. Pat beef dry with paper towels. Sprinkle beef lightly all over with seasoned salt. Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a large pot (preferably non-stick) over medium-high heat. Add half the beef cubes and cook, turning occasionally, until all sides are lightly browned. Remove from pot and keep warm. Repeat with remaining 1 tbsp olive oil and beef cubes. Set browned beef aside.
2. Add onions, celery, and garlic to same pot (you may add a bit more olive oil or ¼ cup beef broth to pot if necessary to prevent sticking). Reduce heat to medium. Cook and stir until vegetables begin to soften, about 5 minutes. Return beef cubes to pot and stir in herbs de Provence. Add beef broth, tomato paste, vinegar, bay leaves, sugar, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 1 hour, 15 minutes. (Make sure it is a low simmer and that mixture is not boiling or it will burn.)
3. Stir in white potatoes and carrots. Cover and simmer for 25 more minutes. Stir in sweet potatoes and simmer for 20 to 25 more minutes, until vegetables are tender. Mix cornstarch with 2 tbsp water until smooth. Add to stew. Mix well and continue to cook until stew is bubbly and has thickened. Stir in peas and parsley and cook just until peas are heated through, about 2 minutes.
Whole Wheat and Cheddar Biscui
1. Preheat oven to 425 ºF. In a large bowl, combine both flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cayenne pepper. Stir in grated cheddar and mix well. Using medium holes on your cheese grater, grate frozen butter directly over flour mixture. Mix gently using a fork until butter is spread evenly throughout flour.
2. Whisk together buttermilk and honey and add to dry ingredients. Stir just until dry ingredients are moistened and mixture forms a ball. Turn out onto lightly floured surface. Work in a bit more flour if mixture is too wet or sticky. Pat dough to ¾-inch thickness.
3. Cut into 2-inch rounds using a biscuit or cookie cutter. Place biscuits on an ungreased baking sheet, leaving space between biscuits. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until biscuits have puffed up and turned a light golden brown. Remove from oven.
4. Optional: Mix melted butter with garlic powder and brush over baked biscuits immediately after removing from oven. Serve warm.