Sticky Rice Sticks with Shrimp and Mango
- serves 30
1 cup water
¾ cup sushi rice
1 tsp salt
½ tsp grated ginger, root
½ can (400 mL) coconut milk
½ cup diced raw shrimp
½ tsp grated lime, rind
2 tsp lime juice
1 pinch hot pepper flakes
1 tsp vegetable oil
½ cup diced peeled fresh mango
2 Tbsp chopped fresh coriander, (optional)
1 Tbsp toasted or plain black sesame seeds
bamboo, sugar cane or lemongrass, stalks, cut into 4-inch lengths
1. In saucepan, bring water, rice, salt and ginger to boil; reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Remove from heat; let stand, covered, for 15 minutes.
2. Add coconut milk, stirring with fork; cover and let stand until rice is at room temperature and coconut milk is absorbed.
3. Meanwhile, in bowl, toss together shrimp with lime rind and juice and hot pepper flakes. In skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat; cook shrimp until pink, about 3 minutes. Add to rice along with mango, coriander (if using) and sesame seeds.
4. Using 2 tablespoons (25 mL) of the rice mixture, form into ovals around bamboo or lemongrass stalks. (Make-ahead: Cover and refrigerate for up to 1 day.) Serve with lime wedges.
5. Other serving suggestions: Roll 1 tablespoon (15 mL) of rice mixture into balls and serve on squares of nori. Or fill each ball with small piece of mango or pineapple for a surprise inside.