Strawberry and Rhubarb Shortcakes
- prep time20 min
- total time 45 min
- serves 8
Classic summer flavours come together in this scrumptious home-baked shortcake.
1 lb(s) strawberries, hulled and thinly sliced
2 - 4 Tbsp granulated sugar (start with 2 Tbsp, add more if the berries aren't very sweet)Shortcakes
3 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
2 Tbsp baking powder
½ cup granulated sugar
1 ½ tsp finely ground black pepper (optional)
1 ½ tsp fine salt
6 Tbsp cold unsalted butter, cut into cubes
1 ½ cups rhubarb, cut into 1/2 inch dice (2 to 3 stalks)
½ cup cold milk, plus 2 Tbsp for brushing
½ cup heavy cream
2 tsp vanilla extract
¼ cup turbinado sugar
Whipped cream, for topping
1. For the macerated strawberries: Combine the strawberries and sugar in a medium bowl. Toss to combine. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate 1 to 2 hours.Shortcakes
1. For the shortcakes: Preheat the oven to 400ºF.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, sugar, salt, and pepper if using. Using a bowl scraper or your fingers, work in the butter until the mixture resembles a coarse meal (using your fingers will create a more cake-like texture). Add the rhubarb and toss to coat; make a well in the center. Combine the 1/2 cup milk, the cream and the vanilla, and pour this into the well. Mix just until combined.
3. Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and knead 5 or 6 times, then roll into a 3/4-inch-thick disc. Cut out rounds using a 3-inch biscuit cutter; make sure you don't twist the cutter, otherwise you'll squish the sides and the shortcakes won't rise. Knead the scraps together, re-roll and cut out rounds until all the dough has been used.
4. Place the rounds, bottom-side up, on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Brush each with milk and sprinkle with turbinado sugar. Bake until the tops are golden brown, about 25 minutes. Let cool completely on the baking sheet.
5. With a serrated knife, cut the shortcakes in half horizontally and place on a serving plate. Top the bottom halves with macerated strawberries and whipped cream, and cover with the top halves. Serve immediately.