2 cups grated, peeled apple (Spartan, Gala or McIntosh)
1 ½ cups grated, peeled carrots
1 ½ cups grated, peeled red beets
1 cup grated zucchini
6 eggs, well beaten, or Flax or Chia eggs
1 ½ cups extra-virgin olive oil, avocado oil or vegetable oil
2 tsp pure vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 ½ cups whole wheat flour
1 ½ cups sugar or coconut sugar
4 tsp baking powder
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ground allspice
¼ tsp nutmeg
2 cups raisins
1 cup chopped toasted raw walnuts or pecans (optional)
24 pieces raw pecan halves, for topping (optional)
1. Position racks in the top and bottom thirds of the oven and preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Grease 2 muffin tins or line with paper liners.
2. In a large bowl, stir together the apple, carrots, beets, zucchini, eggs, olive oil, and vanilla.
3. In a medium bowl, sift together the all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, allspice, and nutmeg.
4. Stir the flour mixture into the vegetable mixture until well combined. Fold in the raisins and chopped nuts (if using).
5. Fill the muffin cups about three-quarters full. Top each muffin with a pecan half (if using). Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the centre of a muffin comes out clean, rotating the muffin tins top to bottom and front to back halfway through. Let cool completely in the muffin tins on a rack before removing from the tins. Store in a resealable container at room temperature for a few days or in the freezer for up to 1 month.
Tips and Substitutions
VEGAN : Replace the eggs with Flax or Chia Eggs (page 315); the muffins turn out denser but equally delicious.
NUT - FREE : Skip the nuts.
Source and Credits
Excerpted from Fraiche Food, Full Hearts: A Collection of Recipes for Every Day and Casual Celebrations by Jillian Harris and Tori Wesszer. Copyright © 2019 by Jillian Harris and Tori Wesszer. Photography copyright © 2019 by Janis Nicolay. Published by Penguin Canada, an imprint of Penguin Random House LLC. Reproduced by arrangement with the Publisher. All rights reserved.