Sweet Irish Soda Bread Cookies
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
2. Mix in beaten egg. Pour in milk and molasses and mix with a fork to make a soft dough. If too dry, add a few drops of milk until it all comes together.
3. On a floured surface, shape dough into a ball and knead lightly 5 or 6 times. Roll out dough to ¼ inch thick and cut into desired shapes – of course we suggest a shamrock if possible!
4. Bake for 12 to 14 minutes or until slightly browned. Transfer to cooling racks and let cool completely before icing. If you don’t want to ice, no worries, sprinkle with a little green course sugar before baking.
5. Tip: the cherries and currants can add quite a bit of moisture to the dough – drain well!
Green hard Icing
1. In a small bowl, stir together icing and milk until smooth. Beat in corn syrup and maple or vanilla extract until icing is totally smooth and glossy. If icing is too thick, add a little more corn syrup, a drop at a time, mixing in well between each addition. If you want to make different shades of green, divide the white icing into separate bowls, and add green food colouring to each to reach the desired shade.
2. Tip: visit your local bulk or candy shop for fun shamrock or green candies and chunky green sugar to decorate with.