Sweet Potato Bourbon Cake
- prep time45 min
- total time 105 min
- serves 10
A dessert sure to satiate the most discerning Southern sweet tooth.
Breakdown of Times:
Prep Time: 30 minutes
In-Active Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 60 minutes
¾ cup (175 mL) packed dark brown sugar
½ cup (125 mL) unsalted butter
2 Tbsp (30 mL) corn syrup
1 ½ Tbsp (22 mL) bourbon
⅒ tsp (0.5 mL)
⅓ cup (75 mL) heavy (35% MF) cream
1 ¼ cup (310 mL) sifted confectioners' sugar
1 tsp (5 mL) pure vanillaSalt Baked Sweet Potatoes
2 large sweet potatoes
kosher saltCake Batter
3 cup (750 mL) unbleached all-purpose flour
2 tsp (10 mL) baking powder
2 tsp (10 mL) ground cinnamon
2 tsp (10 mL) ground ginger
1 tsp (5 mL) salt
1 tsp (5 mL) baking soda
½ tsp (2 mL) nutmeg
⅒ tsp (o.5 mL) ground cloves
¼ cup (60 mL) softened unsalted butter
½ cup (125 mL) vegetable oil
4 large eggs
2 ½ cup (625 mL) packed dark brown sugar
2 cup (500 mL) reserved sweet potato
¾ cup (175 mL) buttermilk
3 Tbsp (45 mL) bourbon
1 ½ tsp (7 mL) pure vanilla extract
1 cup toasted walnut halvesCaramelized Sweet Potato Toppi
2 Tbsp (30 mL) butter
1 cup (250 mL) dark brown sugar
2 cup (500 mL) peeled and cut into 1/4-inch dice sweet potato
¼ cup (60 mL) bourbonCandied Pecans
2 Tbsp (30 mL) packed dark brown sugar
1 ½ tsp (7 mL) honey
1 Tbsp (15 mL) water
1 Tbsp (15 mL) bourbon
½ tsp (2 mL) ground cinnamon
¾ cup (175 mL) pecan halves
1. In a saucepan set over medium heat, stir together brown sugar, butter, corn syrup, bourbon and salt and cook until butter melts and sugar dissolves, about 2 minutes, stirring frequently.
2. Increase heat to high, add cream, and bring mixture to a boil. Boil for 1 minute, stirring occasionally, then remove from heat and whisk in confectioners’ sugar and vanilla. Whisk until glaze is smooth, cool 5 minutes, then whisk again.Salt Baked Sweet Potatoes
1. In a small, rimmed baking sheet add enough salt to cover bottom, place potatoes on top in a single layer and bake in a preheated 400 degrees Fahrenheit oven (200 degrees Celsius) until fork tender, about 60 minutes.
2. When potatoes are cool enough to handle, scoop out flesh, puree, and reserve 2 cups for cake batter.Cake Batter
1. Sift together flour, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger, salt, baking soda, nutmeg and cloves. Set aside.
2. In a stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment, beat butter on medium speed until creamy, then slowly beat in oil.
3. Increase speed to high, add eggs one at a time, then add brown sugar and beat until mixture it is light and fluffy, about 4 minutes, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed.
4. Reduce speed to medium-low and beat in sweet potato.
5. Reduce speed to low, slowly beat in buttermilk, bourbon and vanilla.
6. Gradually add dry ingredients mixing just until combined, then fold in walnuts.
7. Spoon batter into a well greased and floured 10-cup tube pan and tap the pan on work surface to settle batter.
8. Bake in centre of a preheated 350 degrees Fahrenheit oven (180 degrees Celsius). Cake is done when a wooden skewer inserted in centre of cake comes out with a few crumbs clinging to it, about 60 minutes.
9. Transfer cake to a wire rack and let cool 15 minutes before removing from pan.Caramelized Sweet Potato Toppi
1. In a medium skillet set over medium heat, add butter and sugar and cook until sugar dissolves, about 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
2. Reduce heat to medium-low, add sweet potato and cook until fork-tender and sauce has thickened, about 30 minutes, then deglaze with bourbon.Candied Pecans
1. In a saucepan set over medium heat, stir together sugar, honey, water and bourdon and cook until sugar dissolves, then add pecans and stir to coat.
2. Place pecans “flat side down” on a well greased rimmed baking sheet and bake in a preheated 350 degrees Fahrenheit oven (180 degrees Celsius) until fragrant and shiny, about 7 minutes.
3. To Plate: Pour glaze evenly over cooled cake and let rest 15 minutes to allow glaze harden slightly.