Tacos with Tequila-Marinated Pork
- serves 10
3 dried guajillo chili
⅓ cup tequila
3 Tbsp lemon juice
3 cloves garlic, chopped
2 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 tsp ground cumin
½ tsp salt
1 lb(s) boneless pork, loin
1 onion, thinly, sliced
10 medium wheat or corn tortilla
⅔ cup corn, kernels
¾ cup mild feta cheese
¾ cup crumbled queso fresco cheese
¾ cup sour cream
¾ cup creme fraiche
1. Soak chilies in 1 cup (250 mL) hot water for 30 minutes or until softened and pliable. Drain, reserving liquid. Stem, seed and chop chilies finely. Place in blender with tequila, lemon juice, garlic, 1 tablespoon (15 mL) of the oil, cumin and salt; purée until smooth. Combine 1/4 cup (50 mL) of the marinade with soaking liquid; set aside. Scrape remaining marinade into glass bowl; set aside.
2. Trim fat and membrane from pork. Cut crosswise into 1/2-inch (1.25 cm) slices and then into strips about 1/2-inch (1.25 cm) thick. Toss strips with marinade in bowl. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours. (Make-ahead: Cover soaking liquid mixture and store with marinating pork strips for up to 24 hours.)
3. Prepare Fresh Tomato Salsa.
4. Meanwhile, in skillet, heat 1 tablespoon (15 mL) of the remaining oil over medium heat; cook onion, stirring, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add soaking liquid mixture; bring to boil. Simmer until thickened enough to coat onion generously.
5. Meanwhile, place strips on greased grill or on grill pan over medium-high heat. Grill, turning once or twice, until edges are crisp and pork has just a hint of pink inside, about 8 minutes. Add to skillet: coat with onion mixture.
6. Lay tortillas on work surface. Evenly divide pork mixture, salsa, corn and cheese over half of each tortillas. Fold over so edges meet; press edges together.
7. Brush large clean skillet with more oil; set over medium-high heat fry tortillas until golden and crisp, about 4 minutes per side. Serve with sour cream.
8. Yield: 10 tacos