Tempura Wild Rose Beer-Battered Lingcod & Coleslaw
- prep time20 min
- total time 30 min
- serves 4
Recipe by Chef Dan Norcott of Catch Restaurant. Photo by Dan Clapson.
2 12 oz lingcod fillets, cut into 3 oz portions
350 mL Wild Rose Electric Avenue Golden Lager
375 mL tempura flour (keep some for dredging)
1 L canola oilColeslaw
250 mL mayonnaise
250 mL sour cream
60 mL white sugar
90 mL malt vinegar
60 mL lemon juice
90 mL red onion, minced
dash celery salt
dash ground black pepper
½ head Savoy cabbage, julienned
1 carrot, julienned
1 red pepper, julienned
1. For the batter, mix the tempura flour and beer with a wire whisk.
2. Heat 1 litre of oil in a Dutch oven until a drop of batter sizzles and crisps right away.
3. Pat the fish dry with paper towel, then dredge in flour. Shake off excess, then dip in the beer batter.
4. Carefully lower each portion into the hot oil and fry for 6-8 minutes (depending on thickness) until golden and crispy. Using a large slotted spoon, lift out the fish, drain on paper towel and sprinkle with salt.Coleslaw
1. While frying the fish, in a medium size bowl whisk mayo, sour cream, white sugar, malt vinegar and lemon juice. Add the remaining ingredients and season with salt and pepper to taste.