Texas-Style Fried Chicken
- serves 4
Deep-fried chicken, including thighs, wings, legs and breasts, coated in a tasty batter.
Equipment needed: Deep fryer.
Courtesy of Nick Hodge of Icehouse
red wine vinegar
hot sauce (Tabasco-style)Fried Chicken
1 chicken, cut into 8 pieces (wings, thighs, breasts, legs)
8 ½ cup buttermilk
6 cup flour
2 Tbsp garlic powder
2 Tbsp onion powder
2 Tbsp chili powder
1 tsp cayenne
salt and pepper
canola oil for frying
1. Mix all ingredients together.Fried Chicken
1. Place chicken and buttermilk in a large sealable plastic bag or plastic container with a lid, and leave in the fridge overnight or a minimum of 4 hours.
2. Pre-heat a deep fryer with canola oil to 290 deg Fahrenheit, or, using a thermometer, carefully heat about 1-inch of canola oil in an iron skillet to reach 290 degrees Fahrenheit.
3. Mix all of the dry ingredients in a large bowl or square container to make a “dry station”.
4. Place the buttermilk soaked chicken or “wet station” next to the “dry station”.
5. Working with one dry hand and one wet hand, place the chicken in the dry station and coat with seasoned flour.
6. Using your dry hand, transfer the battered chicken pieces back to the buttermilk. Repeat process once more, and then remove the double-battered chicken to a clean tray.
7. Carefully fry the chicken in canola oil for 12 minutes or 6 minutes on each side if using an iron skillet.
8. Coat with Chicken Sauce, and serve.