Thai Basil Chicken Soup
- serves 0
1 whole chicken (2 ½ - 3 lb)
1 medium carrot, peeled and cut in half
1 medium onion, skin removed and cut in half
1 stalk lemongrass, bruised
¾ lb(s) shitake mushrooms, stems and caps separated, reserving caps for crepes
1 bunch Thai basil stems and leaves
1 Tbsp ginger, smashed
1 red Thai chili split (seeded if no heat is desired)
peel of 1 lime
1 Tbsp black peppercorns
2 bay leavesThai Basil Chicken Soup Garnis
Thai Basil Chicken Broth
Red finger chili, (optional)
¼ cup fish sauce
1 ½ Tbsp sugar
juice of 2 limes
chicken leg meat, from Thai Basil Chicken Broth
½ cucumber, peeled, seeded and sliced
4 plum tomatoes, quartered, seeded and cut into ½ inch triangles
1 bunch green onion, chopped
1 tsp sesame oil
1 lime, cut into quarters
Thai basil stem and leaves
1. Place all ingredients in a large pot.
2. Cover with cold water, approximately 2 – 2 ½ quarts.
3. Bring up to a boil then reduce heat to a simmer, uncovered.
4. Skim top, removing impurities throughout cooking process.
5. Cook for 1 hour at a low simmer.
6. Remove chicken from pot.
7. Remove leg meat, pull into pieces and reserve for soup garnishes.
8. Remove remaining chicken and reserve for personal use.
9. Strain stock into a clean pot.Thai Basil Chicken Soup Garnis
1. Bring stock to a boil.
2. Add chili, fish sauce, sugar and lime juice.
3. Season with salt.
4. Add pulled chicken meat, cucumber and tomato.
5. Serve soup, piping hot, garnish with green onion, sesame oil, quartered lime and Thai basil.