The 'Auto Strata' Burger
- serves 4
Ground pork shoulder patties topped with Gorgonzola cheese, romaine hearts, a sliced Granny Smith apple and spices and sauces, all on a brioche bun.
Courtesy of Jay Souilliere of Motor Burger
2 lb(s) ground pork shoulder
3 tsp kosher sea salt (2% of pork weight)
1 tsp ground black pepper (1% of pork weight)
1 Tbsp fresh garlic, minced
2 Tbsp dry Italian white wine
1 tsp chipotle paste
2 Tbsp Gorgonzola cheese
½ fennel (anise) bulb, shaved and julienned
1 Granny Smith apple, thinly sliced and julienned
¼ cup white balsamic vinegar
4 Tbsp motor sauce (or mayonnaise to substitute)
2 cup Romaine hearts, shredded
4 brioche buns
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Add salt, pepper, garlic, white wine and mix lightly (don’t overwork meat).
3. Shape patties into 4 equal ½ pound burgers and place on a hot grill or grill pan to ‘char mark’ each side.
4. Place burgers on a baking sheet and spread chipotle paste on top of each burger, bake in oven for 8 – 10 minutes (or until an internal temperature of 165 degrees Fahrenheit is reached).
5. Put ¼ tablespoon of Gorgonzola cheese on each burger and place back in oven for 1-2 minutes.
6. In a bowl, toss julienned fennel and apple with white balsamic vinegar, season with salt and pepper to taste.
7. Cut buns, spread motor sauce or mayo on bottom, top with shredded romaine, place patty, and top with fennel slaw.