The Margarita Donut
- serves 12
All the flavours of a delicious, refreshing margarita - in a donut!
1 cup milk, warm
¼ cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 pkg instant or active dry yeast
2 eggs, beaten
1 ¼ stick unsalted butter
4 cups flour
¼ tsp salt
1 tsp oilLime Pastry Cream Filling
½ cup granulated sugar
¼ cup cake flour
½ tsp salt
4 egg yolks, whisked
1 ½ cups whole milk
½ lime, juiced
1 Tbsp tequila
Green food colouringTo Create the Jimmy Buffnut
1 tub pre-made vanilla icing
1 Tbsp tequila (optional)
Zest and juice of 1 lime
Oil, for frying
1 cup powdered sugar
1 tsp lemon juice
White coarse sugar, for sprinkling
Silver candy balls
1. Attach a dough hook to an electric mixer. Add sugar and milk together. Mix and add yeast. Lightly mix again and allow yeast to activate for approximately 10 minutes.
2. Place butter in microwave until it starts to melt, approximately 1-2 minutes. Remove and stir until all the butter is melted. Let it cool slightly. If the butter is too hot, it will scramble the eggs. On a medium-low speed combine the butter and eggs to the milk and now bloomed yeast.
3. Let the dough hook mix for 5 minutes. Now add the flour and salt one tablespoon at a time, allowing the hook to properly mix it. Continue until all the flour has been properly mixed. Stop the mixer and scrape down the sides of the bowl. Turn mixer on high and mix for another 5 minutes.
4. Pour oil into a bowl and make sure the sides are properly greased. Roll the dough into the bowl and cover with a towel. Place in fridge for between 4 and 24 hours.Lime Pastry Cream Filling
1. In a large bowl whisk together sugar, cake flour, and salt. Slowly whisk the dry mixture into the whisked eggs until smooth.
2. On medium heat add milk to a saucepan, allow it to come to a simmer, but not a boil. Remove from heat and slowly whisk it into the egg/flour mixture. Add everything back to the sauce pan and whisk until thick, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat and strain through a fine mesh sieve.
3. Add the lime juice, tequila, and green food colouring. Cover with plastic wrap tightly so no air can get in. Chill for up to 4 hours.To Create the Jimmy Buffnut
1. Turn the donut dough out onto a counter that has been floured slightly. Using a rolling pin, roll out dough about ½-inch thick. Choose your sized cutters, and lightly dip into flour. Press the cutter straight down into the dough. If you don’t press down straight, the dough won’t proof properly and will be lop-sided. Continue to cut the rounds and place them onto a greased baking sheet. Cover with plastic wrap and a towel and place in a warm area for 1 hour. They should double in size and look fluffy.
2. While the donuts rise make the lime sugar glaze. Take the tub of vanilla icing and add the tequila and lime juice and stir. Fill a piping bag with the frosting and set aside.
3. Preheat your deep-fry oil for 350ºF (175ºC). One at a time gently lift and place donuts into the oil. Fry until golden brown. Remove and place on a wire rack to drain excess oil.
4. Take the pastry cream out of the fridge and place into a piping bag with a straight round tip. Poke it into the side of the donut, squeeze in filling softly until it starts to come out the hole. Repeat with all of the donuts.
5. Combine icing sugar and lemon juice. Dip your donuts into this mixture and place back on wire rack for 10 minutes. Sprinkle coarse white sugar on top of the donuts while the glaze is still sticky, until they are covered. Now pipe a swirl of icing on top of each donut. Garnish with lime zest and silver candy balls.