Tomato Vegetable Casserole
- prep time15 min
- total time 55 min
- serves 6
This Italian casserole is packed with potatoes, yams, bell peppers, carrots, zucchini, red onion and of course tomatoes.
1 medium potato, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
1 medium yam, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
1 red bell pepper, seeded and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
2 carrots, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
5 Tbsp olive oil
1 red onion, thinly sliced into rings
2 zucchini, cut crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick pieces
Salt and pepper
2 ripe tomatoes, cut crosswise into 1/4-inch thick slices
½ cup grated Parmesan
2 Tbsp dried Italian-style bread crumbs
1 sprigs fresh basil, for garnish
1. Preheat the oven to 400ºF.
2. Toss the potato, yam, bell pepper, carrots, and 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a 13 by 9 by 2-inch baking dish to coat. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and toss until coated. Spread vegetables evenly over the bottom of the pan.
3. Arrange the onion slices evenly over the vegetable mixture. Arrange the zucchini over the onion. Drizzle with 2 tablespoons of oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Arrange the tomato slices over the zucchini.
4. Stir the Parmesan and bread crumbs in a small bowl to blend. Sprinkle the Parmesan bread crumbs over the vegetables in the baking dish. Drizzle with the last tablespoon of olive oil.
5. Bake uncovered until the vegetables are tender, and the topping is golden brown, about 40 minutes. Garnish with fresh basil sprigs, if desired.