- serves 4 - 6
A flavourful, festive and filling meal with leftovers to boot!
Courtesy of Bonnie Mo.
1 Tbsp (15 mL) vegetable oil
1 large onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, sliced
2 Tbsp (30 mL) brown sugar
1 Tbsp (15 mL) chili powder
1 tsp (5 mL) ground cumin
1 tsp (5 mL) dried oregano
½ tsp (2 mL) sea salt
1 19-oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
2 cups (500 mL) frozen corn
2 cups (500 mL) your favourite salsa
1 bag (12 oz/340 g) shredded taco-blend cheese or 12 oz (340 g) Cheddar cheese, shredded
10 small corn tortillas
1. Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C).
2. Splash the oil into a large, heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Toss in the onions and garlic and sauté until the onions soften, just 2 or 3 minutes.
3. Add the brown sugar, chili powder, cumin, oregano and salt. Stir and sizzle for a minute or two more.
4. Stir in the beans, corn and salsa. Continue cooking until heated through. Remove from the heat.
5. Spoon half the bean mixture evenly into your lasagna pan. Sprinkle with one-third of the cheese.
6. Cut 1 tortilla in quarters and fit firmly into the corners. Cut another 2 in half and complete the ends and sides of the layer. Overlap 2 whole tortillas in the middle. Press firmly into place.
7. Make 1 more layer in the same manner, and sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
8. Bake until heated through and the cheese is lightly browned, 30 minutes or so.
9. Cool in the pan until the lasagna firms a bit, 10 minutes or so. Slice, scoop, serve and share!