Bittersweet Chocolate Mousse
White Chocolate Mousse
Milk Chocolate Mousse
Dacquoise Crunch Garnish
1. TRIPLE CHOCOLATE MOUSSE: For bittersweet mousse, melt chocolate in a bowl resting over a pot of gently simmering water, stirring constantly. Stir gelatin powder into milk and let sit for a minute. Heat milk (microwave is easiest) to just below a simmer and whisk into chocolate. Let cool to room temperature. Whip cream to soft peak and fold into chocolate. Pour mousse into a plastic wrap-lined 9-inch square pan, spreading well into corners. Chill for at least 1 hour.
2. For white chocolate mousse, follow the same method as the bittersweet mousse: melt the chocolate, add gelatin to milk, heat the milk and stir in, let cool, whip cream and fold into chocolate. Spoon or pour gently over bittersweet mousse layer and chill for at least 1 hour.
3. For milk chocolate mousse, repeat the same process, and pour mousse gently over white chocolate layer. Chill for at least 4 hours before serving.
4. To serve, invert pan onto a plate and peel off plastic. With a hot, dry knife slice squares of mousse and lift onto plates with a pie-lifter. Break Dacquoise Crunch (directions follow) into large pieces and place on mousse as garnish. Yield: 1 9-inch square pan. Makes 9 to 12 servings.
5. DACQUOISE CRUNCH GARNISH: Preheat oven to 225° F and line a baking tray with parchment paper. Whip egg white with cream of tartar until foamy and add sugar gradually. Whip to stiff, glossy peaks. Stir in vanilla. Toss ground hazelnuts with cornstarch and fold into meringue. Spread gently on parchment paper. Bake for 40 to 50 minutes until dry but not browned. Allow to cool.