4 slices double smoked bacon, for garnishing the burger
2 Tbsp butter, room temperature (30 ml)
1 small onion, roughly chopped (1/2 cup)
2 portobello mushrooms, diced
2 clove garlic, chopped
1 lb(s) ground turkey meat (454 g)
Coarse salt and freshly cracked pepper, to taste
1 Tbsp chopped fresh rosemary (15 ml)
1 tsp chopped fresh sage (5 ml)
1 tsp chopped fresh savoury (5 ml)
1 tsp smoked paprika (5 ml)
4 slices smoked mozzarella
4 crusty buns, brushed with olive oil, split and grilled
Honey Dijon mustard, optional
1. Heat skillet over medium heat. Add bacon and cook until golden and crisp, about 5 to 6 minutes. Transfer bacon to plate lined with paper towel. Set aside.
2. Remove excess bacon fat from skillet. Add 1 tbsp. of butter to the skillet over medium heat. Sauté onion, garlic and mushrooms until soft and golden, about 5 minutes. Season the mixture with salt and pepper. Remove from heat and cool to room temperature. When mixture has cooled, transfer to food processor. Add egg and remaining 1 tbsp. softened butter. Pulse until mixture is finely chopped.
3. Preheat grill to medium high.
4. Add the mushroom mixture, turkey meat, rosemary, sage, savoury and smoked paprika in a large bowl. Season the mixture with salt and pepper. Mix together so well incorporated. Divide mixture into four equal portions. Form into burger
5. Grill burger for 5 minutes per side or until juices no longer run pink. Make sure to cook through. When burgers are almost done, top with cheese and bacon to melt cheese and warm bacon through.
6. Serve the burgers on grilled buns topped with chutney and honey Dijon mustard or your favourite condiments.