Turkey Tagine with Fruit and Nut Couscous and Yogurt Dip
- serves 4
1 clove garlic, minced
1 Tbsp ground coriander
½ tsp ground cumin
½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
½ tsp ground ginger
1 ½ lb(s) dark turkey or chicken meat (from leg or thigh)
2 Tbsp olive oil, divided
½ cup white wine
1 ¼ cup chicken stock
12 red pearl onions or shallots, peeled and cut in half
2 clove of garlic, peeled and smashed
½ tsp fennel seeds
1 1 inch piece of ginger, peeled
1 bay leaf
1 cinnamon stick
⅓ cup capers
½ cup golden raisins
¼ cup ground almonds
¼ cup sliced almonds
2 Tbsp chopped cilantro root
zest of 1 lemon
can chopped cilantro for garnishFruit and Nut Couscous
1 cup couscous
1 ½ cup water
1 cup raisins
½ cup sliced almonds, toasted
⅓ cup pine nuts, toasted
3 green onions, sliced
¼ cup chopped cilantro
¼ cup chopped mint
¼ cup olive oil
2 Tbsp white wine vinegar
1 clove garlic, minced
1 ½ tsp cinnamon
juice of 1 lemon
salt and pepperYogurt Dip
1 cup plain yogurt
2 Tbsp chopped cilantro
1 Tbsp honey
1. Preheat oven to 350 F.
2. In a medium bowl, mix garlic, ground coriander, cumin, black pepper and ground ginger. Add turkey pieces and toss to coat.
3. In a large skillet, heat 1 tbsp of olive oil over medium high heat. Add marinated turkey and sear until golden on all sides (you may need to do this in batches). Add white wine and let liquid reduce by half, 2-3 minutes.
4. Add chicken stock, and simmer 5 minutes, or until slightly thickened.
5. In a tagine, heat remaining 1 tbsp of olive oil over medium heat. Sauté pearl onions and smashed garlic cloves in olive oil, 3-5 minutes, or until golden.
6. Add cloves, fennel seeds, peeled ginger, bay leaf and cinnamon stick. Allow spices to toast slightly. Add capers and raisins. Add ground and sliced almonds and stir to combine.
7. Add seared turkey and its liquid to tagine and bring to a simmer. Add cilantro root and lemon zest.
8. Transfer to preheated oven and cook for 30-40 minutes or until turkey is cooked through and mixture has thickened. Garnish with fresh cilantro and additional raisins.Fruit and Nut Couscous
1. Place couscous in a medium bowl. In a medium saucepan, bring water to a boil. Add raisins and return to a boil. Remove from heat and pour liquid over couscous. Let stand, covered off the heat, 5-10 minutes. Fluff couscous with a fork and transfer to a shallow baking pan to cool as quickly as possible. Cool couscous completely and break up any large lumps.
2. Stir in almonds, pine nuts, green onion, cilantro and mint.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk olive oil, white wine vinegar, garlic, cinnamon and lemon juice. Add to couscous and season with salt and pepper.Yogurt Dip
1. In a small bowl, combine all ingredients.