Two Potato Three Canadian Cheese Gratin
- prep time15 min
- total time 75 min
- serves 4
Brought to you by Dairy Farmers of Canada
6 strips strips bacon, cut into 1/2 inch (1 cm) pieces
1 Tbsp tbsp (15 ml) butter
2 clove garlic, minced
2 cup (500 ml) thinly sliced leeks, white and light green parts only
1 tsp (5 ml) dried thyme leaves
2 Tbsp (30 ml) grainy Dijon mustard
1 ½ cup (375 ml) 35% whipping cream
1 lb(s) (500 g) each, sweet potatoes and yellow fleshed potatoes
½ cup (125 ml) each, freshly grated Canadian Parmesan, Asiago and Gouda cheese
2 Tbsp (30 ml) finely chopped chives
1. Preheat oven to 400 F (200 C).
2. Lightly butter an 8-cup (2 L) shallow baking dish.
3. In large skillet over medium-high heat, cook bacon, until crisp. Transfer to paper towel-lined plate; set aside.
4. Drain off fat from skillet, reserving brown bits; reduce heat to medium and melt butter. Add garlic and leeks; cook stirring often for about 3 to 5 min or until slightly softened. Remove from heat; season with thyme and stir in mustard and cream; set aside.
5. Peel and thinly slice potatoes about 1/8-inch (3 mm) thick and place one-third into prepared dish; sprinkle with half of the reserved bacon. Spoon half of the leek mixture over top. Repeat layer of potatoes, bacon, and leek mixture. Top with remaining potatoes.
6. Cover with aluminum foil and bake for about 40 to 50 min or until potatoes are tender when pierced with a knife.
7. Remove foil and sprinkle with cheese; bake for 8 to 10 min or until cheese melts and sauce is bubbly.
8. Let stand for 5 min before serving. Sprinkle with chives.