Meatballs so juicy and flavourful, you might just make a meal of them alone! Courtesy of Steve Smee of UNA Pizza & Wine.
¼ cup whole milk
¼ cup panko breadcrumbs
½ lb(s) ground veal
½ lb(s) ground pork
1 oz ground prosciutto
2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp crushed chili flakes
3 clove (1 tablespoon), crushed
¼ cup fresh parsley, chopped
¼ cup Parmigiano-Reggiano, grated
1 bottle (24 oz) tomato passata (or other high-end canned tomatoes, puréed)
1 (3-inch) Parmigiano-Reggiano rind
1. Preheat oven to 300ºF.
2. In a large bowl, stir together milk and panko; set aside at room temperature for 20 minutes while you mix the meat.
3. In a second large bowl, mix together the ground veal, ground pork, ground prosciutto, olive oil, chili flakes, garlic, parsley, Parmigiano-Reggiano, and kosher salt; once the breadcrumb mixture has finished setting, stir breadcrumbs into the seasoned meat.
4. Using your hands, shape meat into golf-ball sized meatballs and place them into a large ungreased roasting pan.
5. Pour tomato passata over the meatballs and top with the Parmigiano-Reggiano rind.
6. Add enough water to cover the meatballs and place meatballs in the oven to braise for 2 hours, or until meatballs are consistently brown throughout when sliced open.
7. Cool and serve.