Upside Down Plum Cake
- serves 10
The buttery caramel from the plums soaks through the moist cake when you invert it, making it even more delicious. You'll need a 10-inch cake pan to bake the cake.
2 Tbsp butter, melted
2 Tbsp brown sugar
½ tsp fresh lime juice
4 pruning plum, not peeled, cut into wedges 6 eachBatter
1 ⅔ cup all purpose flour, sifted
¾ tsp baking soda
½ tsp baking powder
¼ tsp salt
pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
½ tsp cinnamon
½ cup butter at room temperature
1 cup sugar
¾ cup milk
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Pour melted butter into a 10-inch cake pan.
3. Swirl butter around to totally cover inside surfaces of pan.
4. Sprinkle sugar on top.
5. Arrange plum wedges in single layer and drizzle with lime juice.
6. Set aside.Batter
1. Sift together all purpose flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, nutmeg, and cinnamon for the batter and set aside.
2. Cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
3. Add the eggs and beat until smooth.
4. Alternating, add a third of the dry ingredients and a third of the milk to the creamed butter mixture until both are added with dry and wet ingredients.
5. Beat in between additions.
6. Scrape down sides and beat for 1 minute to develop structure of cake.
7. Pour batter over plum wedges in cake pan.
8. Bake for about 60 minutes.
9. Cake is done when a knife or toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
10. Leave cake in pan and cool on wire rack for 30 minutes.
11. Invert onto a plate and serve.