¼ cup (50 mL) olive oil, divided
salt to taste
pepper to taste
1 medium butternut squash, sliced lengthwise in half, seeds removed
1 small onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, sliced
1 tsp (5 mL) garam masala
pinch hot chili powder
6 cups (1.5 L) vegetable broth
2 cups (500 mL) finely chopped kale
1. In bowl, mix 2 tbsp olive oil with pinch each salt and pepper. Brush olive oil mixture on cut sides of squash.
2. Place squash cut side up on ungreased baking sheet. Bake in 400ºF (200°C) oven for 1 hour or until tender. Let cool enough to handle.
3. Meanwhile, in stock pot over medium-high heat, sauté onions in remaining olive oil until tender. Add garlic, garam masala and chili powder. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
4. Add vegetable broth to onion mixture; bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer, covered, for 15 minutes. Remove from heat.
5. Scoop squash flesh from skins and add to broth mixture. Using immersion blender, purée soup until smooth, being careful of hot splatters.
6. Return pot to stove over medium-high heat; stir kale into soup. Bring soup to boil; boil for 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, for 25 minutes or until kale is wilted and tender.
7. Add salt and pepper to taste.