- prep time30 min
- total time 75 min
- serves 4
Chuck's homemade vegetable stock is so delicious and full of flavor that it’ll make you forget all about the store-bought stuff.
2 Tbsp olive oil
2 onions, quartered
2 heads of garlic, crushed
1 large leek, roughly chopped
4 celery stalks & leaves, roughly chopped
6 carrots, chopped
2 parsley roots & leaves, chopped
¼ cup ketchup
1 Tbsp of whole black peppercorns
inch Enough water to cover
1. In a large stockpot, heat the oil over medium heat.
2. Lower the heat, add all the vegetables and cook for about 5 minutes or until the vegetables are slightly colored. Add the ketchup, the peppercorns, the herbs and the water.
3. Bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer for about 30 to 45 minutes.
4. Strain, cool and refrigerate. Perfect for soups, sauces or risotto.
5. Cook’s note: Vegetable stock only needs to simmer for 30 to 45 minutes to extract the maximum flavor from vegetables. In fact, quality can actually start to diminish beyond a certain point if the vegetables are simmered for too long.