2 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 28-oz can whole tomatoes in juice, pureed in a blender
1 ½ lb(s) seitan
½ cup all-purpose flour
½ cup cola
1 cup vegetable oil
4 hero rolls, split in half
8 oz shredded mozzarella
¾ cup finely grated Parmesan
4 tsp chopped fresh oregano
1. Heat the olive oil in a medium, heavy saucepan over medium heat until hot. Then stir in the garlic and 1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Cook until golden, about 3 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes and simmer until thickened, about 10 minutes.
2. Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
3. Cut the seitan into 1/2-inch-thick slices. Whisk together the flour, 1 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper and the cola in a bowl.
4. Heat the oil in a large, heavy skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Dip half of the seitan into the batter, letting the excess drip off, and add to the skillet. Brown, turning occasionally, about 5 minutes. Drain the seitan on paper towels. Repeat with the remaining seitan.
5. Divide the seitan among the rolls and top with the sauce. Divide the cheeses among the rolls. Place the rolls on a baking sheet and bake until the cheese is melted, about 5 minutes.
6. Serve the heroes topped with the oregano.
Source and Credits
Recipe courtesy of Food Network Kitchen