Victoria Sponge Cake
- prep time10 min
- total time 45 min
- serves 8-10
Fruity orange and raspberry Victoria sponge cake with orange and buttercream is a refreshing treat in the spring!
225 g butter
225 g golden caster sugar
4 free range eggs
225 g self raising flour
zest of a large orangeJam
250 g raspberries
splash of orange juice (use the orange from the sponge)
1 heaped Tbsp Golden Caster SugarIcing
250 g butter, softened
250 g icing sugar
Juice of ½ an orange
Zest of a large orange
1. Turn the oven on to 180C. Grease two 8-inch Victoria sandwich tins, line the bottom of both tins with grease proof paper and then lightly flour them.
2. Using a mixer, cream the butter and sugar.
3. Mix the eggs together in a separate bowl then pour them into your mixer.
4. Sieve in the flour.
5. Add the orange zest.
6. Split the mixture evenly between the two cake tins and then bake in the oven for around 25- 30 minutes until they are golden brown and feel slightly springy on top.
7. When the cakes are cool – spread some icing on to the top of one sponge, then some jam, then sandwich them together and spread the remaining buttercream over the top. Zest over a little more orange to serve.Jam
1. For the jam put the raspberries, orange juice and heaped tablespoon of golden caster sugar into a small pan. Heat gently and allow to slowly break down and reduce into a jammy consistency, then leave to cool.Icing
1. For the icing, mix the softened butter with the sieved icing sugar, juice of ½ an orange and the zest of a whole orange.