Waldorf Chicken Salad Sandwiches
- prep time20 min
- total time 80 min
- serves 6 - 8
Succulent shredded roast chicken mixed in with grapes, mayo, walnuts, celery and apples, all served on beautiful whole-wheat bread.
2 whole chickens (3-4 lbs each)
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Olive oil, for drizzling
⅓ cup mayonnaise, plus more for serving
1 cup green grapes, sliced
1 cup walnuts, chopped
4 ribs celery, chopped
1 green apple, peeled and chopped
1 bunch chives, chopped
1 lemon, juiced
Butter lettuce, for serving
Country loaf or nice whole-wheat bread, sliced and toasted, for serving
1. Preheat the oven to 400ºF.
2. Set the chickens on a rimmed baking sheet, sprinkle them all over with salt and pepper, and drizzle with olive oil. Roast to an internal temperature of 160ºF, taken between the breast and thigh, about 1 hour.
3. Allow to cool. With two forks, shred all the meat off the bone.
4. In a large bowl, combine the shredded chicken, mayonnaise, grapes, walnuts, celery, apples, chives, lemon juice and big pinches of salt and pepper. Toss well.
5. To assemble the sandwiches: Fill a leaf of butter lettuce with some chicken salad. Sandwich the stuffed lettuce with two slices of bread spread with mayo. Repeat for the remaining sandwiches. Slice in half and enjoy.