Wasabi-Glazed Cake Donut
Recipe courtesy of Baden Walter Cunning.
2 large eggs
⅔ cups white sugar
1 ½ tsp pure vanilla extract
3 cups flour
3 tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
¾ tsp nutmeg
3 Tbsp butter, melted
½ cup milk, at room temperaturePanko and Toasted Sesame Topping
1 cup panko breadcrumbs
½ cup white sesame seedsWasabi Glaze
½ cup confectioners' sugar
3 - 4 Tbsp rice wine vinegar
3 Tbsp wasabi powderAssembly
Panko and White Sesame Topping
1. Cream together the eggs and sugar until it becomes a pale yellow colour, approximately 15 minutes.
2. Add in the vanilla and combine.
3. In a separate bowl combine the flour, baking powder, salt and nutmeg. Heat the butter over low flame to melt. Once melted, add in the milk.
4. Alternate adding dry ingredients and wet ingredients into a stand mixer. Mix together until it forms smooth dough that is somewhat sticky. Place the dough in a clean lightly oiled bowl and let rest for an hour.Panko and Toasted Sesame Topping
1. While the dough is resting toast the sesame seeds. Place the sesame seeds in a un-oiled pan over low heat. Continuously move the seeds around until they start to pop and show signs of browning. Once they are toasted mix into panko crumbs.Wasabi Glaze
1. To make the glaze, combine the rice wine vinegar to the powdered sugar and wasabi powder. If the glaze is too stiff, you can add in more vinegar.Assembly
1. Preheat vegetable oil to 365ºF. Roll out dough on a floured surface and cut out doughnuts.
2. Place in oil and fry for 2 minutes on each side, until lightly browned. Take out of oil and place on paper towel to absorb excess grease.
3. Once the donuts are cooled off, you can dip them in the glaze and panko sesame seed mixture.