Water Prince Corner Shop's Seafood Chowder
- serves 20
Courtesy of chef Shane Campbell of Water Prince Corner Shop restaurant.
3 cup potatoes, diced
1 part halibut carcass
½ lb(s) bacon, finely chopped
1 cup onions, finely diced
1 cup celery, finely diced
¼ lb(s) haddock, de-boned and chopped
¼ lb(s) crabmeat, cooked
¼ lb(s) lobster, cooked
¼ lb(s) scallops, chopped and cooked
¼ lb(s) salt cod, soaked overnight, drained and rinsed
3 Tbsp fish bouillon
½ lb(s) butter
3 cup flour
1 tsp white pepper
1-2 ounces heavy cream or half and half cream per serving
1. Boil and drain potatoes.
2. In a saucepan, cover halibut carcass with water and bring to a boil then reduce, simmering for approximately 1 hour. Reserve stock and pick meat to be included in chowder. Discard bones.
3. Sauté bacon in a pan until cooked.
4. Add onions, celery and haddock. Sauté until fish is cooked.
5. Add crab, lobster, scallops, halibut pickings, and salt cod and sauté all together.
6. Make rue in a separate pot by adding fish bouillon to 2 ½ litres water. Bring to a boil and remove from heat.
7. Add butter, flour, tarragon, white pepper, and fish mixture to the rue. Stir thoroughly.
8. Let cool and refrigerate overnight.
9. When assembling, re-heat. Add 1-2 ounces half and half or heavy cream to each bowl when serving.