- prep time60 min
- total time 75 min
- serves 12
Watermelon cake. Who knew!
Breakdown of Times:
Prep Time: 30 minutes
In-Active Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
2 ½ cup (624 mL) sifted cake flour
1 tsp (5 mL) baking powder
½ tsp (2 mL) baking soda
½ tsp (2 mL) kosher salt
1 cup (250 mL) watermelon puree
3 Tbsp (45 mL) lemon zest
1 tsp (5 mL) pure vanilla extract
1 ½ cup (375 mL) granulated sugar
¾ cup (175 mL) room temperature unsalted butter
3 large room temperature eggs PLUS 1 egg yolkWatermelon-Buttermilk Glaze
3 cup (750 mL) icing sugar
zest of 1 lemon
3 Tbsp (45 mL) watermelon juice
2 Tbsp (30 mL) buttermilkGinger-Poached Watermelon Cube
½ cup (125 mL) granulated sugar
½ cup (125 mL) water
4 slices fresh ginger root
½ vanilla bean, scraped of its seeds or, alternatively, 1 teaspoon (5 mL) vanilla extract
2 cup (500 mL) finely diced seedless watermelon
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit (160ºC). Line a large 12-cup muffin tin with paper cupcake liners and coat lightly with vegetable spray. Set aside.
2. Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt and set aside.
3. Whisk together watermelon puree, zest and vanilla and set aside.
4. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment, on medium speed, beat together sugar and butter until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes, then beat in eggs and egg yolk, one at a time, until incorporated.
5. Reduce mixer speed to low and add flour mixture alternatively with watermelon puree mixture in three additions, and mix until smooth.Watermelon-Buttermilk Glaze
1. Whisk together all ingredients until smooth, then set aside.Ginger-Poached Watermelon Cube
1. In a small saucepan set over medium high heat, combine sugar, water, ginger and vanilla bean seeds and bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and cook until syrup has thickened, about 15 minutes.
2. Remove pot from heat, discard ginger, and gently fold in watermelon cubes. Let rest ½ an hour to allow syrup to cool and flavours to meld.
3. To Plate: Spoon glaze evenly over cooled cupcakes, top with whipped cream and ginger-poached watermelon cubes, and serve immediately.