White Chocolate Cranberry Cookie Bars
- prep time15 min
- total time 35 min
- serves 10
Courtesy of Lauren Toyota and John Diemer for hot for food blog.
1 Tbsp ground flax
3 Tbsp fresh water
1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
¼ tsp sea salt
⅓ cup coconut oil, melted
¾ cup light brown sugar, packed
2 tsp vanilla extract
¼ cup + 1 Tbsp dried cranberries
¼ cup white chocolate chunks or chips*Orange Yogurt Glaze & Assembly
1 cup powdered sugar
2 Tbsp vanilla-flavoured coconut yogurt
¼ tsp fresh orange juice
¼ tsp orange zestVegan White Chocolate
4 oz raw cacao butter
⅔ cup powdered sugar
2 tsp soy milk powder
1. *NOTE: Vegan white chocolate chips or bars are hard to find in Canada. They can be ordered online or you can make your own quite easily using the recipe below.
2. To make the cookies preheat the oven to 350ºF.
3. Whisk together flax and water in a small bowl. Set this aside for 15 mins. It will thicken and gel up.
4. In a large mixing bowl combine flour, baking powder, and sea salt with a fork.
5. In a separate bowl combine the melted coconut oil, brown sugar, and vanilla extract and whisk until well combined. Add in the flax and water mixture and whisk together until smooth.
6. Add this wet mixture to your dry mixture and fold together until just combined.
7. Then fold in ¼ cup of dried cranberries and ¼ cup of white chocolate chunks or chips and use your hands to mix everything until well combined.
8. Press this mixture into a 9” x 9” parchment lined baking dish being sure to press and fill it right to the edge.
9. Bake for 14 minutes. Once baked, carefully transfer the cookie in the parchment to a baking rack. Then remove the parchment from underneath it. Allow it to cool completely before icing.Orange Yogurt Glaze & Assembly
1. In a mixing bowl combine powdered sugar, vanilla flavoured coconut yogurt, orange juice, and zest with a hand mixture or whisk. Beat until very smooth.
2. Using a large icing spatula spread the frosting evenly over the top of the cookie, pushing it just to the edges so it can drip down the sides.
3. Take 1 tbsp of dried cranberries and roughly chop them. Sprinkle them all over the top of the icing.
4. Let the icing set before cutting into bars. Store in an airtight container at room temperature.Vegan White Chocolate
1. Combine powdered sugar and soy milk powder in a small bowl.
2. In a double boiler melt the cacao butter until it's liquid, then remove from the heat and whisk in the powder a spoonful at a time.
3. You could use a chocolate mold/silicone mold to set the chocolate or line a small baking sheet with parchment paper and make sure it's well placed using clips or clothing pins. Pour the liquid onto the parchment and let it settle evenly.
4. Refrigerate it for 20-30 minutes until it's solid or until you're ready to add white chocolate chunks to your cookies.