Dreamed of being a cake boss? From simple coffee cakes to elaborately layered tortes, it’s all within the realm of “yes, you can!” if you master the recipe and technique. When baking at home, follow Anna Olson’s step-by-step methods to creating beautiful and delicious cakes dressed to impress.
Stacking Cake Layers
Don’t be intimidated: it only takes three simple tools to successfully stack two cakes on top of each another. Plus, Anna’s easy instructions make it a cinch.
As Anna says, grab your measuring tape, wooden doweling, and a serrated knife, and give it a go at home.
How to Fill a Cake
For filling a cake, think beyond the usual frosting-cake combination: spoon lemon curd, strawberries stirred with jam, chocolate mousse, or whatever you fancy between the cake layers. Follow Anna’s step-by-step instructions and your cake will slice perfectly without squishing or sliding.
To recap, the steps are to create a stabilizing “dam” – a ring of buttercream frosting around the edges and a secret slicing ring in the centre – and then spoon filling into the gap and pop on the next layer. Repeat until you’ve got a towering masterpiece ready to be decorated.
Masking a Layer Cake
Once you learn the icing essentials, “masking” or frosting a cake is a snap.
Remember these essential tips from Anna when masking your cake:
- Start by using more frosting than you need
- Always mask at the top of the cake first, and then move onto the sides
- Always connect the next addition of frosting to the first
- When polishing the cake, start with the sides and finish with the top
- Use a bowl scraper to achieve clean edges on your cake
- Chill the cake for 30 minutes before decorating
Covering a Cake with Fondant
Why not fancify your baked creation with a little fondant? Working with this edible icing, used to sculpt or decorate cake, is easier than you think.
Remember, the key steps are:
- Ice the cake.
- Roll the fondant into a thin but stable layer.
- Using the rolling pin, drape the fondant over the cake.
- Gently press out any air bubbles.
- Trim the edges.
- With the palm of your hand, rub the fondant until it feels satiny.
Looking for more cake inspiration? Check out Anna Olson’s Best-Ever Cake Recipes.