Lemon Pound Cake
- prep time15 min
- total time 85 min
- serves 12
Anna Olson's lemon pound cake topped with a sweet sugar glaze.
1 ⅔ cup pastry flour
½ tsp salt
1 cup unsalted butter softened, but a little cooler temperature (it should not be shiny)
1 ½ cup sugar
5 large eggs, at room temperature
1 ½ tsp vanilla extract
1 Tbsp finely grated lemon zestGlaze
⅓ cup fresh lemon juice
½ cup sugar
zest of 1 lemon, removed in thin strips
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F., grease a 9 x 5 x 3-inch loaf tin and dust with flour, shaking out excess.
2. Sift flour and salt twice and set aside.
3. With electric beaters, beat butter until creamy and light-coloured. While beating, gradually pour in sugar, then increase speed and beat until light and fluffy.
4. In a separate bowl, whisk together eggs to blend but do not add air. Add beaten eggs in 3 additions, beating for 20 seconds after each addition. If batter looks like it is starting to curdle, wrap a warm, damp tea towel around the bowl and continue beating. Add in vanilla and lemon zest.
5. Fold in flour by hand in 2 additions, spread batter into prepared pan and bake for 65 to 70 minutes, until a tester inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean. Allow cake to cool for 15 minutes, then turn out onto a rack to cool completely.Glaze
1. While cake is cooling prepare glaze. Heat lemon juice, sugar and zest until sugar dissolves. While glaze and cake are still warm, poke holes in cake with a skewer and spoon glaze over cake. The syrup will soak in and set with a crunchy exterior, and the zest will rest on top.