Al Pastor Tacos
- prep time60 min
- total time 60 min
- serves 2
These delectable tacos aren’t made with pork but rather with chunks of jackfruit that do a brilliant impersonation of the carnitas: succulent, slightly chewy, and radiant with flavour.
4 Morita chiles
1 garlic clove
1 tsp (5 ml) Mexican oregano
1 tsp (5 mL) Achiote powder
4 Tbsp (60 mL) olive oil
Fresh lime juice
1 cup (225 mL) water
1 tsp (5 mL) salt and pepperJackfruit Tumerico Carnitas Tacos and Assembly
2 Tbsp pineapple, diced
4 oz jackfruit
2 oz adobo sauce
2 tortillas, premade
Cashew cream, premade
1. In a blender, add the chilis, garlic, oregano, achiote powder, olive oil, lime juice, water, and salt and blend until smooth.Jackfruit Tumerico Carnitas Tacos and Assembly
1. Cut an entire jackfruit into large chunks and add to a standing mixer. Mash fruit for roughly 5 minutes or until it looks like pulled meat.
2. Add salt and pepper.
3. Take the jackfruit chunks and fry them for 1 minute.
4. Sauté the chunks of pineapple in a large pan on high heat for roughly 5 minutes.
5. Drizzle in the adobo sauce.
6. Add the jackfruit carnitas to the pan.
7. Mix well and let cook for 2 minutes on medium heat.
8. Serve the mixture on top of a tortilla.
9. Garnish with salsa and cashew cream.
Courtesy of Tumerico