1. Follow instructions on soba noodle package to cook noodles. Boil and once cooked, shake noodles in ice or cold water to cool (quick in and out) then drain. Set aside.
1. Combine egg, rice wine vinegar, salt, garlic cloves and cream of horseradish.
2. Mix lightly with a hand-held blender then slowly add in oil to emulsify while blending. Refrigerate & set aside.
1. Stir together 4 cups (1 L) of water, dried bonito flakes, soy sauce, mirin, sugar, and dried shiitake in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat, then slowly bring to a simmer. Simmer for approximately 5 minutes or until flavours meld to your liking.
2. Remove from heat and add 1 piece of kombu kelp. Let stand for 10 minutes, then pour mixture through a fine wire-mesh strainer into a bowl. Discard solids. Cool at room temperature for 30 minutes, then cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or up to 3 days. Reserve for later.
Terres Major Beef
1. Pan sear the whole cut of beef with soybean oil on high heat for 1 minute on each side. Let beef chill for 1 hour then slice into thin pieces.
Assembly and Garnish
1. Set chilled soba noodles into a shallow bowl and place slices of beef atop noodles. Add 4 dots of horseradish aioli and dress with shiso leaf, daikon sprout and cucumber.
2. Pour 3 oz of Zaru sauce onto noodles and garnish with sliced radish, lemon wedge and grated horseradish, then serve!
Source and Credits
Courtesy of Chef Mutsuko Soma of Kamonegi