Butchie’s Buttermilk Fried Chicken Wings
- prep time15 min
- total time 23 min
- serves 6
These juicy, crispy, crunchy, chicken wings are coated not once, but twice, in rich buttermilk and flavourful house rub and then deep fried to golden perfection.
4 lb(s) Canadian free-range chicken wings
2 cups buttermilk
1 Tbsp Butchie’s House Rub, or preferred chicken rub seasoningButchie’s House Rub
¼ cup brown sugar
1 Tbsp kosher salt and black pepper
1 tsp cayenne
2 Tbsp garlic powder
2 Tbsp onion powder
2 Tbsp paprika
½ Tbsp cuminThe Dredge
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 Tbsp Butchie's house rub, or preferred chicken rub seasoningThe Egg Wash
2 whole eggs
2 cups buttermilkBreading & Cooking
½ cup canola or vegetable oil for deep frying
1. Prepare the marinade in a deep container, add the 2 cups (500 mL) of buttermilk and house rub, mix well.
2. Add the 4 lbs (2 kg) of raw chicken wings. Cover and place in the fridge and marinade for 8 hours maximum, 3 hours minimum.
3. Remove wings from the marinade and dry well using paper towel. Set aside. Discard marinade.Butchie’s House Rub
1. Prepare the house rub by mixing all the dry spices and sugar together. Mix well.The Dredge
1. Prepare the dredge by mixing the all-purpose flour and house rub together.The Egg Wash
1. Prepare the egg wash by whisking 2 whole eggs with the buttermilk.Breading & Cooking
1. Begin the breading process by seasoning each wing with Butchie’s house rub and dipping them first into the seasoned flour dredge, then dipping each wing into the buttermilk eggs wash, and then back into the flour.
2. Deep fry the chicken wings at 325ºF for 8-9 minutes until golden brown and fully cooked inside. Season with sea salt.
Courtesy of Andrea Nicholson, Butchie’s, Whitby, Ontario